Sunday, August 5, 2012

In My Mailbox


This has been quite the successful week for me as far as attaining books goes! Every summer in my hometown the library has a great sale and I always end up buying at least a bagful of books. This summer was no exception. Add to the fact that a friend of mine was getting rid of books and so gave me several of hers that I wanted AND that there have been a lot of great garage sales going on recently and you get a VERY successful week for books. However a fair amount of said books were not young adult so today I shall only include the young adult/fantasy ones because those are the books that we talk about here at DeLibrarie. So thanks to the Story Siren for hosting this fabulous meme because I enjoy it immensley. Now, on to the books!


Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Now, I know that this is a children's book, however Neil Gaiman is a genius and Coralina is creeeeeepy. So since I think you should all go out and read it, I'm including it in today's post!






Gossip Girl All I Want is Everything by Cecily Von Ziegesar

I love the show and so far I love the books. This is number three in the series and I'm only on book one yet, but I'm looking forward to reading this one!







The Bromeliad Trilogy by Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett is amazing and this book looks hilarious. It has all three books in it so I couldn't resist! It's about gnomes escaping into the world. Now doesn't that sound fun?






The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

This is the first book in the Discworld series so I'm pumped to read it! I realize that Terry Pratchett is more adult fantasy, but he's still hilarious and I think everyone should at least give him a try at one point or another.





Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett

This is the first of Pratchett's books that I read and while it took me a while to get into it, once I did I loved it and I've been a fan of his ever since. And now I finally have my own copy!!






The Shakespeare Stealer Series by Gary Blackwood

Again, I realize that this is a children's series, but I read these when I was younger and it's because of these books that I became such a fan of Shakespeare's. It taught me a lot and now I have them all in my personal library. If you haven't read these by now, you really ought to already :)




Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz by L. Frank Baum

Now, until recently, I never knew that there was a whole series of Oz books. I thought there was just Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz but to my astonishment one day, I was told that there are a whole slew of Oz books! So I immediately bought this to begin collecting the entire series. These are classics and I can't wait to find them all and then to read them all in order.



The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares

I love Brashares' work; always do. I got this from a friend and she said it was amazing, especially for a summer read. Can't wait to sit down and start this one.





Exploring Harry Potter by Elizabeth D. Schafer

This isn't fiction, but it's about Harry Potter so I'm letting it count. It looks like a great way to supplement reading the Harry Potter series (which I am currently doing AGAIN) so I'm looking forward to making new discoveries along the way with this at my side.




The Telling Pool by David Clement-Davies

Haven't heard much about this one but I've seen it around so I picked it up!







A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn

I've borrowed this one from Del before but always ran out of time to read it and so had to return it to her. I've always been intrigued by this book and so I HAD to get it when I came across it last weekend. The cover is gorgeous and the premise of the story sounds interesting. When I have some time I hope to read this asap.

The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu

This is definitely not young adult or fantasy, but it is the one that I am most excited for. It's one of the first books ever written; it was written in 900 BC or so in Japan and it is one of the best books I have ever read. I haven't finished it yet because I had to return it to the library. But if you enjoy Japanese culture, you will LOVE this book just as much as I do. It's fantastic!! I can't wait for the day when I can find a good edition to buy for myself.



So, that's it for now. A lot of books, I know, and these are maybe only half of what I've gotten my hands on this past week! While I'm excited to read them all, I'm also a little perturbed for my bookshelves are officially filled up once again... an unending predicament I'm afraid. But I hope you have enjoyed checking out what books have come into my ownership as of this week and we hope to hear what all of you have been up to this past week as far as book 'buying' goes, so leave us a comment or link to your own post!!! Happy Book Buying everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams kit by Lorie Davison