Sunday, July 8, 2012

Review'd: Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Book Review:
Title: Lies Beneath
Author: Anne Greenwood Brown
Published June 12th, 2012 by Delacorte Press

Goodreads Summary: 
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.

DeLibrarie Review:
This one was hard for me to decide how to rate. Typically, I'll get about 3/4 of the way through a book and I'll pretty much know how many stars I'm going to give it. Sometimes I get surprised and change my mind, but honestly, it usually stays the same rating that I thought it deserved at the 3/4 point. This one was tough because I was thinking 4 and then after I finished it I was thinking 3.5, but because I round up... It's still technically a four. I didn't really have high expectations with this one, I'm not a big mermaid book fan, I feel like they are pretty much all the same. Lies Beneath was really not an exception to that theory. All I told my boyfriend was that it was about a male mermaid who's family is trying to kill a man... and he seriously figured out the plot from that. It is a super predictable book, there are a few surprises in there mind you, but for the most part the important things are very predictable.

I also was really annoyed with Lily. She wasn't a very strong leading lady in my opinion... she started off being a sort of rebel, who has a secret tattoo and dresses super artsy. Then as the book progressed and she fell in love with Calder... she got boring, she became the same leading lady that every other YA paranormal romance book seems to have: the self-sacrificing, deadly monster loving, helplessly annoying girl. It was uber frustrating to read because she started off being so off the beaten path, and became so cliche.

Ok here is where It's going to get spoilery so if you don't want to ruin any MAJOR plot points you should scroll down. This book had a lot of incest in it. Not blood incest mind you, but like that kind of uncomfortable feeling that you get when two adoptive siblings hook up, and you aren't really sure if it's super gross or just bizarre because they aren't blood related. First off, the four siblings seem to be totally fine running around naked together, Pavati evidently likes to seduce Calder to mess with his head, and then Tallulah goes all crazy jealous and trys to kill Lily when we find out that she is in love with Calder... her younger brother... weird... not to mention... we later find out that Lily is in fact Calder's niece... double weird. (again, all of this is not by blood, but seriously... still weird.) I just found it odd that she had all the love interests related to eachother.

SPOILERS OVER! Overall, it was an entertaining read. I'll probably read the second one, but mermaid books really just aren't my thing. I've read a lot of them and I just don't find them as unpredictable and entertaining as other creatures.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams kit by Lorie Davison