Sunday, June 5, 2011

Review'd: The Hunger Games

Book Review:
Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Published: September 14th 2008 by Scholastic, Inc.
Rating: 5 Stars

Goodreads Summary:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Delibrarie (Nichole) Review:
There is so much more to this book than you would first believe. At first glance I thought this book looked like a childish, weird book. It wasn't until by younger brother, who doesn't read, told me I had to read this because it was just that good that I decided to give it a go. I was blown away. I could not put it down and I could not stop until I had read all three (which thankfully were all out by the time I finally read them).
I liked how Collins decided to use first person because it forced me to live every heart-wrenching, joyful, fearful moment that Katniss endures. It was breathtaking. Literally.
I will say this though: It was very gory. I don't think that this is a bad thing, personally. I thought that the details and gore just added to the experience and made it more real and tangible to me as the reader. However, because I've seen this book portrayed as a children's book as well as a teen book I'm just worried about the kids that get their hands on this. While I realize that there are worse movies and games out there that kids play, the less they are shown of such things the better. But that is strictly my own opinion.
I loved how this book began and ended. It doesn't start with a history lesson or end with a huge cliffhanger, instead it begins with Katniss living her life. That's how you get sucked into her story so much because you wake up with her and her life and just follow her along as the events lead to the inevitable. The ending, don't worry I won't give anything away, isn't some huge cliffhanger, either. Granted you definitely want to read the next one to see what happens next but it sort of finalizes this first book so that you are content with what you have been given and are excited to continue the story.
It's a very emotional book so if you are going to attempt it, I say go for it but be ready for it. There will be gore and you will feel as the character does and she goes on a rough path to say the least.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams kit by Lorie Davison