Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Review'd: The Diviners by Libba Bray

Book Review:
Title: The Diviners
Author: Libba Bray
Published September 18th, 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: ARC

Goodreads Summary: 
Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."
When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.

DeLibrarie Review: Was that a breathe of fresh air I just took?? Libba Bray is hands down my absolute favorite YA author. What she does with a story is freaken fantastic. Her Gemma Doyle Trilogy is my very favorite series of all time and the very reason that I fell so much in love with YA books; needless to say... I had high expectations for this one. Let me tell you... It did NOT disappoint. I love that it was set in the 1920's, I love the way she shapes her characters: all with such a distinct different voice and personality. I love how she weaves in supernatural plot turns here and there that keep you on your toes, and most of all I love how she only gives you enough information to keep you hungry to find out what happens next; her foreshadowing is very subtle. This book is just shy of 600 pages but I picked up the book and all of a sudden I noticed I only had a few pages left. I recommend this book to everyone... it's a rare gem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams kit by Lorie Davison