Saturday, November 17, 2012

Review'd: Ripple by Mandy Hubbard

Book Review:
Title: Ripple
Author: Mandy Hubbard
Published: July 21st 2011 by Razorbill/Penguin

Goodreads Summary:
Lexi is cursed with a dark secret. The water calls to her, draws her in, forces her to sing her deadly song to unsuspecting victims. If she succumbs, she kills. If she doesn't, the pain is unbearable. To keep herself and those she cares about safe, she shuts herself off, refusing to make friends or fall in love-again. Because the last time she fell in love with a boy, he ended up dead.
Then Lexi finds herself torn. Against her better judgement, she's opening up again, falling in love with someone new when she knows she shouldn't. But when she's offered the chance to finally live a normal life, she learns that the price she must pay to be free of her curse is giving him up.


DeLibrarie Review:
This book was wonderful. It really was. Hubbard took a classic, supernatural being and applied it to the every day person. She made this creature relateable, real, possible, and captivating. I found all of these characters to be credible and relateable. The story/plot itself was just so realistic that I felt as though this story could actually have happened. There was no superhuman guy or will of fate stepping in to save the day, nor was the heroine or hero so unreal or lucky that everything just worked out for them; on the contrary, bad things happened and you were never quite sure where the story would go next. The writing style was smooth which made this a fast read. I honestly wasn't sure how the story was going to end because it wasn't predictable which I appreciated. I hate seeing the ending before it happens but that didn't happen here. The only reason I put this book down and took so long to read it, was because I knew it was a stand alone and I did not want the story to end so I prolonged it for as long as I could manage, and I'm glad I did because I enjoyed this book every step of the way. The main character also has to go through something which takes a couple years and (before the start of the story) and so by taking my time, it sort of helped me to truly understand how long this story has really been taking place for. This is the first book I've read by Hubbard and I was blown away. I loved the voice she used to write this and I felt so attached to the characters that I wanted to help even though I never could. For being a paranormal book, it was very real and believable; I loved that. It's rare that you get that in the paranormal romance genre of teen fiction nowadays. I do wish that she had taken a little more time with certain parts, specifically concerning Eric but honestly there's not much that I can say I didn't like about this book. I know I'm being fairly obscure with this review and not very detailed about my likes and dislikes (the few that there are), but it's because I really don't want to give anything away. This book is a gem and I very highly suggest that everyone go out and read this book if you haven't already. It's short, sweet, yet heartbreaking and enthralling. I'll miss this book. And I absolutely cannot wait to see what else Hubbard has up her sleeve!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams kit by Lorie Davison