Monday, November 26, 2012

In My Mailbox

I know that technically this is a Sunday meme, and it is in fact Monday but considering how sucky we've been in posting things anyway I feel that posting something on time would just be considered overachieving at this point. :) Also... just to cheat a little more... a few of these titles I didn't get this week. Just a few though.

Side Note: Every time I try to copy from goodreads it turns my background white and then won't let me fix it. So if you are interested in the book and want to know more about it you can just CLICK on the book cover and it'll pop you on over to its goodreads page. (does anyone know how to fix the stupid white background problem??)

The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers
While wondering around BN waiting for my friend Dave to be done working and come hang out with me I was meandering through the adult fiction section when I happened upon a book entitled The Labryinth of Book City... or something of that nature. I read the first couple sentences of the synopsis and quickly discovered that it was a book in a series. I noted the authors name and went to the "M" section looking for the previous titles. I found this one... the first book and began to read the first couple of pages. It's hilarious! Let me explain: it is not a book that one should take seriously at all. I'm about 160 pages into it right now and it's episodic so their really is no plot or point really. It's a lot of European dry humor which if that is your thing (like it very much is mine) then you will love it. However, I'm starting to wonder if authors should be tested for drugs because it also seems to enhance their performance with story telling and creative avenues. Not saying Moers does drugs but his ability to create unique characters rivals Lewis Carrolls. More on that later when the review comes out. I wasn't going to do a review on it at first BUT considering it is more or less a childrens book with big words... I feel that you all would enjoy it.

A Fractured Light by Jocelyn Davies
I ordered this one a while ago but it's been sitting behind the counter at work waiting for Employee Appreciation week... which started today... As a BN employee a few times a year we get an extra 10% off of our already reduced price. I ordered Reached by Ally Condie and this one. Reached hasn't come in yet, but I made sure to pop in today and buy this one. I really liked the first one in the series but it's the second book that always makes me love a series. I'm excited to start this one as soon as I finish BlueBear. I've already read a few pages during some downtime at work so I'm excited to see what happens.




Saving June by Hannah Harrington
This finished copy was sent to me from Harlequin Teen and I haven't quite gotten around to reading it yet. I've started it and it looks good but I haven't really been in the mood for a downer, my sister is dead story quite yet... but I'm sure I'll read it sooner rather than later.







Renegade by J.A. Souders
This title had been on my "watching" list but honestly I don't think I even knew what it was really about. When I saw it at BN and read the summary it sounded like The Little Mermaid meets Delirium. I was intrigued to say the least. It sounded really different. It was! I flew through it... or swam through it ...hehe in less then a day. Be on the lookout for a review up in the next day or so.







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the Flying Dreams kit by Lorie Davison